Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wiki..Earthquake Short Stories

Earthquakes are devastating, yet fascinating to learn about! First of all, what are earthquakes? Earthquakes may be familiar to you; it is a shaking or vibration that occurs on the Earth's crust. Earthquakes can be big or small. Small earthquakes occur a lot in California, Alaska, Indonesia, Iran and many more places. There are happening all the time, but most of them are so small you can't even feel them!

My topic for the wiki was "Earthquakes & Short Stories" and I was amazed to find so many stories written by ordinary people. I found a story by Mark Twain, (did you know he used “Mark Twain” as a pseudonym to publish his books and he got the idea from boating?) he wrote about the October 8, 1865 San Francisco Earthquake. It was a descriptive story about the earthquake and he shared his personal feelings and experience. Another story I found was on a website (the name of the author was not mentioned). This story was about Hawke's Bay Earthquake. It occurred on October 16 and measured 7.5 on the Richter Scale. It also mentioned the ample amount of aftershocks after the earthquake had occurred.

While researching on earthquakes and short stories, I found a large number of interesting facts—did you know that the largest recorded earthquake in the United States was a magnitude 9.2 that struck Prince William Sound, Alaska on Good Friday, March 28, 1964? And that the largest recorded earthquake in the world occurred on May 22, 1960 in Chile with a magnitude of 9.5? Did you also know that there are “earthquakes” on the moon?
*For more facts visit http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/kids/facts.php



I think the whole idea of making a wiki with information on earthquakes is really amazing! I don’t know a whole lot about computers or technology, but I really enjoyed working on this project. This is definitely a different approach to learning for me, but I look forward to doing more projects and assignments along these lines.


Sources

2 comments:

kris10 said...

hehehehe
ANYWAY
go tag 8 other people cuz *taps* YOUVE BEEN TAGGED! CONGRATS! i guess...
alos go and read my blog @ coloryellow.blogspot.com

LiViN' wAtErMeLoN cRaZy said...

i tagged you. go to my blog.....livinwatermeloncrazy.blogspot.com for directions.